This was a highly disappointing 13th inning game of many things that went right and many things that went very, very wrong. The unfortunate part is that more went wrong than right. So let’s look at both.
What Went Right
- As I stated in my last post, Albert hit his 400th career home run. Quite an accomplishment for someone just over 30.
- Pedro Feliz continues to impress. He has a hit for every game as a Cardinal (7 game hitting streak), which means he’s hitting .367 as a Redbird and playing solid defense at 3rd.
- Brendan Ryan made an incredible diving catch, on the right side of the 2nd base bag, to stop the Nationals from winning much earlier in the game.
- Aaron Miles continues to deliver off the bench. I don’t care what anybody says. I feel comfortable with him stepping in as a pinch hitter in a clutch situation.
- The Cardinals rallied for 4 innings in the 9th, whereas in the past couple of weeks, their last minute rallies had fallen just short.
What Went Wrong
- The two biggest superstars on the team hurt themselves. Matt Holliday was hit in the wrist by a pitch and Albert Pujols rolled his ankle. Supposedly, they’re both ok though.
- Felipe Lopez showed he should be nowhere but a pinch hitter or possibly 2nd base. He does not belong on the left side of the infield. His plays cost us the game more than any other play.
- Though Carp was good, because of poor defense, could not be as sharp as he normally is.
- Ryan Franklin, flawless in the 8th inning, gave up the tying home run in the 9th.
- Ultimately, the biggest thing, is that we dropped yet another game to a very weak team and in not putting the game away early, almost lost our two biggest components to get us to the postseason.
Jaime Garcia goes tonight or, “The Mexecutioner,” as stl_cardinals_fan73 affectionally called him on a previous post. But it’s hard to get up for the game. How many times can the Redbirds squander these opportunities before they take themselves out of the race completely? The wild card is absolutely there for the taking, even if we don’t play well enough to get the central. Regardless, I’m a Cardinal fan to the bitter end. Come on Cardinals….let’s get it going!
Rooting for the wild card,